Cleaning your jewellery regularly will help it looking as good as new. Natural skin oils, dust and pollution in the atmosphere all conspire to dull (tarnish) the surface of precious metals and cloud gemstones. Silver, brass and copper will all tarnish naturally over time. The amount of tarnishing (oxidation) that occurs is dependent on the individual's skin and care habits.
Follow these steps as a guide to clean your jewellery:
- Wash in a mild solution of soap and lukewarm water.
- Use a soft bristled brush or cloth to gently brush or wipe under settings and around stones.
- Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- Dry using a soft, lint-free cloth that won’t leave fuzz or threads behind.
- Make sure your jewellery is completely dry afterwards to prevent staining and corrosion.
The best way to keep your silver jewellery looking great is to wear it as this stops oxidising with the air and tarnishing. Tarnishing is less likely to happen as quickly if you wear your jewellery regularly.